Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Our Favorite New Burger: Turkey Feta Spinach Burgers

In the rush to put something together for an impromptu Mother’s day grill out with my in-laws, I thought through the food I had on hand and inspiration struck. Since then we have been enjoying these turkey burgers REGULARLY this summer. We have been devouring these yummies a couple times a month.

IMG_0045

Ingredients:

1.5 lbs ground turkey

1 package frozen spinach, thawed and excess water removed (see tip below)

1/2 onion chopped (optional)

1/2 cup feta cheese

salt and pepper to taste

dash of nutmeg (optional)

How To:                                                                                                                                                           Mix all ingredients together in a large bowl. Eyeball the spinach, I usually add about 3/4 of the spinach otherwise the consistency isn’t as good but your preference might be more or less.

IMG_0041

Separate meat mixture into patties.

IMG_0042

Grill outdoors or cook indoors in a cast iron skillet or grill pan until cooked through. Enjoy on a bun with your favorite burger toppings.

IMG_0045

Spinach Tip: For the longest time I dreaded using frozen spinach due to the difficulty in draining it, I’ve tried Rachel Ray’s tip of squeezing the excess liquid out by placing the spinach in a dish towel and squeezing. I didn’t like the mess or how HOT the water was on my hands. So I started using my potato masher! (see photo below). In the same bowl you defrosted the spinach in, press your potato masher into the spinach to hold it back and to push out the liquid, carefully pour out the excess liquid. Move your way around the edge of the bowl until all the water is removed from the spinach. IMG_0039

I really LOVE this burger because it’s turkey, the extra delicious flavor the feta cheese adds, the health and veggie factor and my kids love it too! Hey and not to mention if momma needs a break this all in one burger and veggie combo can make dinner super simple, throw a bag of multi-grain tortilla chips on the table and you’ve got a healthy dinner!

Have you stumbled into any new recipes that you are loving this summer??

That’s my Shiny ~

J

0 comments:

Post a Comment