Thursday, January 19, 2012

Pom Poms & Pulled Pork for a New Family of Four

More babies, babies, babies so what does that mean?? More gift making fun! I got back to it, with the towel making EXTRAVAGANZA! This time around, the new big brother welcomed a little sister, so two extra special towels need to be whipped up. 
I wanted to mix it up this time and see what else I could come up with. I headed to Target to find some towels, I was hoping to find more of the super cute striped towels I used last time but those were sold out. I moved on and picked solid lime green towels for this go round. While choosing the towels I remembered the teal fabric paint I had left from Q's first birthday t-shirt and thought it would look fantastic with the lime. At that point I wasn't sure how I was going to make the towels a little extra special. I was hoping to find some ribbon or something to individualize the towels a bit. However, the snow fell and we were stuck at home and I have ZERO ribbon in the house....I had to use my resources, so I went digging through my fabric pile and there it was teal and lime green FELT!!! (scraps from Q's Halloween costume) Hooray!! The idea hit me POM POMS, two POMS for the little sister and one POM for the big brother !! The Poms turned out EVEN CUTER than my original ribbon plans!

I got to work following the same process from this post (SUPER simple, fun , practical gifts for babies/kids). EXCEPT I wanted little sister to have double pom poms on the back of her hood, so I changed it up a bit so the hood would have double points.

Double Point Towel Hood:
- Fold the hand towel in half, short end to short end.
- On the side you will be sewing the seam, at the folded center push the center down into the towel about 2 1/2 - 3 inches,creating two mini folds, pin. (see photo below)
- Carefully sew one point closed
- Sew the other point and continue down to rest of the hand towel to complete the back of the hood


- Flip hood so the seams you just completed are on the inside. 
- The hood is now ready to be attached to the large towel (per instruction in the previous tutorial) and for the finishing touch of two pom poms!

*For the single pom hooded towel follow instructions as in the previous tutorial and attach pom as described below.

Also, instead of spray fabric paint for the letters, I used regular fabric paint in teal. Once I finished the towels themselves I got to work on the pom poms.

DIY Felt Pom Poms:
- Cut a big pile of thin strips of felt,about 4 or 5 inches in length
- Stack up a big bunch of your strips until the thickness looks like it will be full enough 
- Using a length of heavy duty thread about 18 - 20 inches long tie tightly around the center

- Give your Pom Pom a good trim until it fills out and is the right proportion.
- You should have a long piece of thread left over after tying, use this to attach the poms to the points on the hood of each towel sewing by hand.  
- As you attach the pom pass the needle and thread through the entire Pom Pom to secure it together(see pic above, that is the needle in the center of the pom), this way no felt pieces will be pulled loose or out of place.
- Continue to sew until secured well (move your stitches around the pom to secure at all sides).

Along with the gift, I have also been favoring one specific meal to make for newly expanded families.  It really is perfect, cooks in the crock pot, I can make a large enough batch to feed my family and have a meal to give. TRULY PERFECT!
Slow Cooker Pulled Pork Fajita Burritos:
1 10 lb pork loin
1 jar medium salsa
2 cups sweet baby rays BBQ sauce
1 large onion chopped
3 -5 sweet peppers (variety of colors red, yellow, orange and green)
1 T cumin (more or less to taste)
1 1/2 T chili powder (more or less to taste)
2 packages of whole wheat tortillas
3 cups shredded Colby Jack or mild cheddar cheese

place pork loin in slow cooker, chop onion place on top of pork loin. Mix BBQ sauce, salsa, cumin and chili powder in a small bowl, poor over top of pork loin and onions. Cook on low for 8 hours or on high for 4 hours. Once pork is tender shred with two forks, turn or keep crock pot on high, cut peppers into thin strips and add peppers to crock pot, continue to cook for 30 minutes or until peppers are tender. When preparing to eat immediately preheat oven to 350. Using a 9x13 casserole make the burritos by putting a small amount of cheese in a tortilla top with about 1/4 cup of pulled pork mix, roll into a burrito and place in pan, repeat. Each pan makes about 10 burritos. Lightly top with more shredded cheese about 1/2 - 1 cup. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes or until cheese is melted and slightly browned. Serve with sour cream, tortilla chips, salsa and guac if desired.


What have you been whipping up?

That's my Shiny ~





0 comments:

Post a Comment